More New and Used
from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
This is the Revised edition with a publication date of 1/6/2013.
What is included with this book?
Lynda Mugglestone's hugely popularThe Oxford History of Englishis now updated and entirely reset in a new edition featuring David Crystal's new take on the future of English in the wider world. In accounts made vivid with examples from a vast range of documentary evidence that includes letters, diaries, and private records, fifteen scholars trace the history of English from its ancient Indo-European origins to the present. They cover the language's versions, written and spoken, revel in its rich variety over fifteen centuries, and chart its varied progress nationally, regionally, and throughout the world. With scholarship at once impeccable and approachable, the authors describe and explain the constantly changing sounds, words, meanings, and grammar of English. This is a book for everyone interested in the language, present and past.
Lynda Mugglestone is Professor of History of English at the University of Oxford and Fellow and Tutor in English at Pembroke College. Recent books include Dictionaries. A Very Short Introduction and, edited with Freya Johnston, Johnson's Pendulum, both published by Oxford.
Table of Contents
Introduction: A History of the English Language, Lynda Mugglestone
1. Preliminaries: before English, Terry Hoad
2. Beginnings and Transitions: Old English, Susan Irvine
3. Contacts and Conflicts: Latin, Norse, and French, Matthew Townend
4. Middle English - dialects and diversity, Marilyn Corrie
5. From Middle to Early Modern English, Jeremy Smith
6. Restructuring Renaissance English, April McMahon
7. Mapping Change in Tudor English, Terrtu Nevalainen
8. The Babel of Renaissance English, Paula Blank
9. Speakers and Writers of Eighteenth-century English, Ingrid Tieken-Boon van Ostade
10. English in the Nineteenth Century, Lynda Mugglestone
11. Modern Regional English in the British Isles, Clive Upton
12. English Among the Languages, Richard W. Bailey
13. English World-wide in the Twentieth Century, Tom McArthur
14. Into the Twenty-first Century, David Crystal
Table of Phonetic Equivalents