More New and Used
from Private Sellers
Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
This is the edition with a publication date of 12/29/2012.
What is included with this book?
Oxford Studies in Metaphysics is the forum for the best new work in this flourishing field. OSM offers a broad view of the subject, featuring not only the traditionally central topics such as existence, identity, modality, time, and causation, but also the rich clusters of metaphysical questions in neighbouring fields, such as philosophy of mind and philosophy of science. Besides independent essays, volumes will often contain a critical essay on a recent book, or a symposium that allows participants to respond to one another's criticisms and questions. Anyone who wants to know what's happening in metaphysics can start here.
Karen Bennett is Associate Professor of Philosophy at Cornell University.
Dean W. Zimmerman is Professor of Philosophy at Rutgers University.
Table of Contents
I. RELATIVE SAMENESS
1. Possibility Relative to a Sortal, Delia Graff Fara
2. Reflections on Counterpart Theory, Allen Hazen
II. ABSOLUTE GENERALITY
3. All Things Must Pass Away, Joshua Spencer
4. Absolute Generality Reconsidered, Agustin Rayo
III. HUMEANISM AND LAWS OF NATURE
5. Goodbye, Humean Supervenience, Troy Cross
6. "There sweep great general principles which all the laws seem to follow", Marc Lange
IV. CONTINGENT OBJECTS AND COINCIDENT OBJECTS
7. Relativized Metaphysical Modality, Adam Murray and Jessica Wilson
8. Coincidence Through Thick and Thin, Sydney Shoemaker
V. THE OPEN FUTURE
9. The Real Truth about the Unreal Future, Rachael Briggs and Graeme Forbes
10. Presentism and Distributional Properties, Jonathan Tallant and David Ingram