Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Mandell have produced a number of best-selling college texts for
Bedford/St. Martin’s, including Foundations First: Sentences and Paragraphs,
Writing First: Practice in Context, and Focus on Writing. Laurie Kirszner
teaches composition, literature, and creative writing at the University of
the Sciences. Stephen Mandell is the founder and former director of the basic
writing program at Drexel University, where he teaches composition, literature,
and technical and business writing.
Table of Contents
EDITING CHECKLIST: Narration
Mallory Cogan, My Grandfather’s Globe (Student Essay)
Kristy Bredin, Job Application Letter (Student Essay)
Judith Ortiz Cofer, The Myth of the Latin Woman: I Just Met a Girl Named Maria
Brent Staples, Just Walk on By: A Black Man Ponders His Power to Alter Public Space
* Deborah L. Rhode, Why Looks Are the Last Bastion of Discrimination
* Zev Chafets, Let Steroids into the Hall of Fame
* Jamaica Kincaid, Girl
Eric McGlade, The Search (Student Essay)
* Visual Text: Matt McKeon, The Evolution of Privacy on Facebook (Graphs)
Malcolm X, My First Conk
Stanley Fish, Getting Coffee Is Hard to Do
* Joshua Piven, David Borgenicht, Jennifer Worick, How to Decorate Your Room When You're Broke
Arthur Miller, Get It Right: Privatize Executions
Jessica Mitford, The Embalming of Mr. Jones
Shirley Jackson, The Lottery (Fiction)
Evelyn Pelicane, The Irish Famine, 1845–1849 (Student Essay)
Visual Text: Louis Requena, Major League Baseball Brawl (Photo)
Norman Cousins, Who Killed Benny Paret?
* Stan Cox, The Case against Air Conditioning
Lawrence Otis Graham, The “Black Table” Is Still There
Linda M. Hasselstrom, A Peaceful Woman Explains Why She Carries a Gun
* Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, Why Vampires Never Die
Janice Mirikitani, Suicide Note (Poetry)
Mark Cotharn, Brains versus Brawn (Student Essay)
Maria Tecson, A Comparison of Two Web Sites (Student Essay)
Visual Texts: Auguste Rodin, The Kiss, and Robert Indiana, LOVE (Sculptures)
Bruce Catton, Grant and Lee: A Study in Contrasts
* Paul H. Rubin, Environmentalism as Religion
Bharati Mukherjee, Two Ways to Belong in America
* Amy Chua, Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior
Ellen Laird, I’m Your Teacher, Not Your Internet-Service Provider
Deborah Tannen, Sex, Lies, and Conversation
Gwendolyn Brooks, Sadie and Maud (Poetry)
Josie Martinez, What I Learned (and Didn’t Learn) in College (Student Essay)
Visual Text: Ellis Island Immigration Museum/NPS, Key to Chalk Marks Designating Medical Conditions of Immigrants, Ellis Island (Chart)
Parenthetical References in the Text