Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
This comprehensive survey focuses on the social and political lives of people--some famous, some ordinary--revealing the compelling story of America's democracy from an individual perspective, from across the landscapes of diverse communities, and ultimately from within the larger context of the world.
New to the Second Edition
* Updated scholarship, with enhanced coverage of democracy
* Expanded coverage of Native American societies, heavily revised coverage of the Gilded Age, and integrated material on slavery and African-American history
* A revised final chapter that covers the financial crisis that began in 2008, the death of bin Laden, and the Tea Party
* Current maps and charts that reflect the most recent census data
* New Additions to "American Portrait," "American Landscape," and "America and the World" features
* New visual review diagrams, enhanced critical-thinking pedagogy, and additional pedagogical aids
James Oakes, City University of New York Graduate Center
Michael McGerr, Indiana University-Bloomington
Jan Ellen Lewis, Rutgers University, Newark
Nick Cullather, Indiana University-Bloomington
Jeanne Boydston, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Mark Summers, University of Kentucky-Lexington
Camilla Townsend, Rutgers University, New Brunswick