Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
How do rental returns work?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
A. P. Martinich is Roy Allison Vaughn Centennial Professor in Philosophy at the University of Texas at Austin.
David Sosa is Louann and Larry Temple Centennial Professor in the Humanities and Chair of the Department of Philosophy at the University of Texas at Austin.
Professors Martinich and Sosa are the coeditors of Analytic Philosophy: An Anthology, Second Edition (2011).
Table of Contents
*=New to this Edition
Each section ends with Suggested Further Reading.
Note on the Sixth Edition
1. Of Names (1881), John Stuart Mill
2. On Sense and Reference (1892), Gottlob Frege
* 3. Proper Names (1958), John R. Searle
4. From Naming and Necessity (1972), Saul Kripke
5. Meaning and Reference (1973), Hilary Putnam
6. The Causal Theory of Names (1973), Gareth Evans
* 7. From Frege's Puzzle (1986), Nathan Salmon
8. On Denoting (1905), Bertrand Russell
9. Descriptions (1919), Bertrand Russell
10. On Referring (1950), P. F. Strawson
11. Mr. Strawson on Referring (1957), Bertrand Russell
12. Reference and Definite Descriptions (1966), Keith Donnellan
* 13. Speaker's Reference and Semantic Reference (1977), Saul Kripke
14. Quantifiers and Propositional Attitudes (1956), W. V. Quine
15. Quantifying In (1968), David Kaplan
16. On Saying That (1968), Donald Davidson
* 17. Synonymity (1952), Benson Mates
18. A Puzzle about Belief (1979), Saul Kripke
* 19. The Import of the Puzzle about Belief (1996), David Sosa
* 20. Belief Ascription (1992), Stephen Schiffer
21. Meaning (1957), H. P. Grice
22. Performative Utterances (1961), J. L. Austin
23. The Structure of Illocutionary Acts (1969), John R. Searle
24. Logic and Conversation (1975), H. P. Grice
* 25. Conversational Impliciture (1994), Kent Bach
26. A Nice Derangment of Epitaphs (1985), Donald Davidson
27. The Thought: A Logical Inquiry (1918), Gottlob Frege
28. The Semantic Conception of Truth and the Foundations of Semantics (1944), Alfred Tarski
* 29. Tarski's Theory of Truth (1972), Hartry Field
30. Truth and Meaning (1967), Donald Davidson
* 31. What Is a Theory of Meaning? (1975), M. A. E. Dummett
32. Two Dogmas of Empiricism (1951), W. V. Quine
* 33. In Defense of a Dogma (1956), H.P. Grice and P.F. Strawson
* 34. "Two Dogmas" Revisited (1976), Hilary Putnam
35. Assertion (1978), Robert Stalnaker
36. Demonstratives: An Essay on the Semantics, Logic, Metaphysics, and Epistemology of Demonstratives and Other Indexicals (1977), David Kaplan
37. The Problem of the Essential Indexical (1979), John Perry
38. From On Rules and Private Language (1982), Saul Kripke
* 39. The Rule-Following Considerations (1989), Paul A. Boghossian
* 40. From Blindspots (1988), Roy Sorenson
* 41. Vagueness without Paradox (1994), Diana Raffman
* 42. Shifting Sands: An Interest-Relative Theory of Vagueness (2000), Delia Graff Fara
43. Of Words (1699), John Locke
* 44. From Philosophical Investigations (1953), Ludwig Wittgenstein
* 45. Empiricist Criteria of Cognitive Significance: Problems and Changes (1950), Carl G. Hempel
46. Languages and Language (1975), David Lewis
* 47. Toward a Causal Theory of Linguistic Representation (1977), Dennis W. Stampe
48. Language and Problems of Knowledge (1988), Noam Chomsky