Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Sunil Janah is one of India's leading photographers and is internationally acclaimed for documenting India's independence movement, its peasant and labour movements, famines and riots, rural and tribal life, as well as the years of rapid urbanization and industrialization.
Table of Contents
1. India: Past and Present / Last Days of British Rule / The Bengal Famine / Becoming a Photographer / Inspectorate of Scientific Stores / Communal Riots / Partition / Independence
2. Joining the CPI as a Reporter / Photographer / Photographing the Peasant Rallies and Demonstrations in the Cities / 'Photok Walla' / Gandhi and Nehru / Photographing the Diverse Peoples in India / Party Headquarters / South Indian Famines and Calcutta Riots with Margaret Bourke-White / Arrest and Detention / End of British Rule / P.C. Joshi / Leftist Governments
3. Freelancing from Calcutta / First Book of Photographs Designed by Satyajit Ray / First Exhibitions / Industrial Assignments / Marriage / School of Printing Technology / Photographing Village and Ttribal People / Nudes / Calcutta in the 1950s / Our House, My Studio, Friends, and Visitors / Chittaprasad, J.B.S. Haldane / Photographing Dancers, Yehudi Menuhin, Verrier Elwin, Lindsay Emerson / Temple Sculptures and Ancient Monuments
4. UN Assignments in Sri Lanka, Burma, Malaysia, Thailand, Geneva, and Paris / Henri Cartier-Bresson / Living in New Delhi / The Book, Dances of the Golden Hall / Delhi Exhibition / Indira Gandhi / Invitations to Russia and the Socialist Countries of Europe, and Exhibitions in Berlin, Prague, Sofia, and Bucharest / Making Prints / Advances in Cameras and Photographic Materials During My Lifetime / The Digital Revolution / The Padma Shri Award / Depression / Deteriorating Health and Eyesight
5. Dealings with Government and Publishing Misadventures in India / Move to London / Living in London and the Long Drive through Western Europe / Exhibitions in London, Oxford, and Other Cities in England, and at the Fotofest in Houston, USA / Retrospective Exhibitions in New Delhi, Calcutta, Bombay / Exhibitions at the Havana Biennale in Cuba, in Merida in Mexico, and in New York and San Francisco / Selling Prints / Jyoti Basu / Michael Hoffman and the Aperture Exhibition / Alkazi
6. On Looking Back
7. Post-9/11 America-In New York, 11 September 2001 / Reactions to Present-day Events / The Bush Administration / Afghanistan / Al Qaeda / Iraq / USA and the world / Obama Elected President and a New Hope for America
PHOTOGRAPHING INDIA The Making of History / Rural India / The Tribal People / Cities and Towns / The Cultural Heritage / Industrial Developments / Personal Photographs