Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Jim Walker holds a PhD in theoretical physics from the University of Washington and currently teaches at Western Washington University. He served as a post-doc at the University of Pennsylvania, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of San Diego. In recognition of his contributions to the teaching of physics, Jim was named the Boeing Distinguished Professor of Science and Mathematics Education for 2001-2003.
Table of Contents
Applications in the Text
Preface: To the Instructor
Preface: To the Student
Guide to Features of the Text
1. Introduction to Physics
2. One-Dimensional Kinematics
3. Vectors in Physics
4. Two-Dimensional Kinematics
5. Newton’s Laws of Motion
6. Applications of Newton’s Laws
7. Work and Kinetic Energy
8. Potential Energy and Conservation of Energy
9. Linear Momentum and Collisions
10. Rotational Kinematics and Energy
11. Rotational Dynamics and Static Equilibrium
13. Oscillations About Equilibrium
14. Waves and Sound
II. THERMAL PHYSICS
16. Temperature and Heat
17. Phases and Phase Changes
18. The Laws of Thermodynamics
19. Electric Charges, Forces, and Fields
20. Electric Potential and Electric Potential Energy
21. Electric Current and Direct-Current Circuits
23. Magnetic Flux and Faraday’s Law of Induction
24. Alternating-Current Circuits
IV. LIGHT AND OPTICS
25. Electromagnetic Waves
26. Geometrical Optics
27. Optical Instruments
28. Physical Optics: Interference and Diffraction
V. MODERN PHYSICS
30. Quantum Physics
31. Atomic Physics
32. Nuclear Physics and Nuclear Radiation