Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Walker’s goal is to help you make the connection between a conceptual understanding of physics and the various skills necessary to solve quantitative problems. The pedagogy and approach are based on over 20 years of teaching and reflect the results of physics education research. Already one of the best-selling textbooks in algebra-based physics, The Fourth Edition strengthens both the conceptual foundations and the tools for problem solving to make the book even better suited to today's students.
QR codes appear throughout the textbook, enabling you to use your smartphone or tablet to instantly watch interactive videos about relevant demonstrations or problem-solving strategies.
Jim Walker holds a PhD in theoretical physics from the University of Washington and currently teaches at Western Washington University. He served as a post-doc at the University of Pennsylvania, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of San Diego. In recognition of his contributions to the teaching of physics, Jim was named the Boeing Distinguished Professor of Science and Mathematics Education for 2001-2003.
Table of Contents
Applications in the Text
Preface: To the Instructor
Preface: To the Student
Guide to Features of the Text
1. Introduction to Physics
2. One-Dimensional Kinematics
3. Vectors in Physics
4. Two-Dimensional Kinematics
5. Newton’s Laws of Motion
6. Applications of Newton’s Laws
7. Work and Kinetic Energy
8. Potential Energy and Conservation of Energy
9. Linear Momentum and Collisions
10. Rotational Kinematics and Energy
11. Rotational Dynamics and Static Equilibrium
13. Oscillations About Equilibrium
14. Waves and Sound
II. THERMAL PHYSICS
16. Temperature and Heat
17. Phases and Phase Changes
18. The Laws of Thermodynamics