Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
This instructor and student-friendly, engaging text covers the most current policing topics and tactics.
Policing America: Challenges and Best Practices, 8e, offers a problem-solving approach that emphasizes what is actually working in the field. Based on the author’s thirty-plus years of practical policing and academic experience, this eighth edition continues to be set apart by its traditional, applied, “what works” theme. That, coupled with comprehensive updates throughout and the minor restructuring of this edition, provide an approach not otherwise found on the market. Emphases are on topics of major, national importance and interest, such as terrorism, personnel issues, community policing, investigations, rule of law, accountability (ethics, liability), patrol, and technologies. Organized to flow smoothly for the instructor and student, this edition continues to provide a penetrating view of one of the most difficult and challenging occupations in America: policing!
Teaching and Learning Experience
This book offers complete coverage of policing, examining emerging areas in the field. It provides:
- Problem-solving, real-world approach: Emphasizes what really works in the field
- Complete coverage of policing topics and tactics: Gives students a comprehensive understanding of the police in America
- Hands-on focus and superior pedagogical features: Gives students the tools to master key concepts faster and more effectively
Note: this is the standalone book, if you want the book/access card order the ISBN below:
0133571696 / 9780133571691 Policing America: Challenges and Best Practices with MyCJLab Access Code Card Valuepack
Package consists of:
0132946807 / 9780132946803 NEW MyCJLab -- Access Card
0133495655 / 9780133495652 Policing America: Challenges and Best Practices
Table of Contents
Part I Foundations: Development of American Policing and Police Officers
1 History: From English Origins to the U.S.
2 Preparing for the Street: Recruiting, Training, Socialization
3 On Patrol: Methods and Menaces
Part II Practices and Challenges
4 Community Oriented Policing and Problem Solving
5 Criminal Investigation: The Science of Sleuthing
6 Personnel Issues and Practices: Stress, Labor Relations, Higher Education,
Part III Adhering to Law, Ethical Principles, and Public Expectations
7 Rule of Law: Expounding the Constitution
8 Accountability: Ethics, Use of Force, Corruption, and Discipline
9 Civil Liability: Failing the Public Trust
Part IV Agency Organization and Administration
10 Federal and State Agencies: Protecting our Borders and Freedoms
11 Municipal and County Agencies: Organization, Administration, and Roles
Part V Best Practices: Addressing Special Populations, Using Specialized Equipment
12 Pursuing Criminal Syndicates: Terrorists, the Mob, Gangs, Drug Traffickers
13 Addressing “People Problems”: <TTL>Immigrants, Youth, Hate Crimes, the Homeless
14 Technology Review: Uses (the Good), Concerns (the Bad), and Legislation