Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
This is the second of a four-volume survey and explorations in political science conducted by the Indian Council of Social Science Research. Once regarded as an exception to the dominant conceptions of the theory and practice of democracy, India over the past two decades, has come to be seenas a successful democracy, offering important lessons to countries with diversities and problems of economic development. Consequently, there has been a greater interest in understanding the ways in which democracy functions in India. Essays presented here explore the literature on the various dimensions of the Indian democratic experience. They focus on certain key features of the Indian democracy such as theConstitution and its institutions, the party system, civil society initiatives, elections, and federalism, among other aspects. The volume as a whole also reviews major ideas, perspectives, issues, and controversies surrounding India's democracy. Besides evaluating the state of research on India'sdemocracy and providing a bibliographic guide, this volume identifies the lacunae in the field and explores lines of future enquiry.
Volume Editor: K.C. Suri is Professor, Department of Political Science, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad.
General Editor: Achin Vanaik is Former Professor of International Relations, Department of Political Science, University of Delhi, Delhi.
Table of Contents
Foreword by Javeed Alam
General Series Introduction (Achin Vanaik)
Introduction: India's Democracy- An Exception or a Model? (K.C. Suri)
1. Mapping Debates on Indian Democracy: Cognitive Maps (Neera Chandhoke and Rajesh Kumar)
2. Constitution and Its Institutions (Manjari Katju)
3. Indian Federalism (Balveer Arora, K.K. Kailash, Rekha Saxena, and H. Kham Khan Suan)
4. Studies on India's Elections (1977-2010): An Overview (Suhas Palshikar)
5. Party System and Party Politics in India (K.C. Suri)
6. The Representation Deficit in Civil Society (Neera Chandhoke)
Notes on Contributors