Questions About This Book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Table of Contents
Twentieth Century Timeline.
Each chapter begins with “Introduction” and concludes with “Summary and Review,” “Concept Review,” “Discussion Questions,” “Suggested Readings,” “Addresses and Websites,” and “References.”
I. LIVING IN A GLOBAL COMMUNITY.
1. Government, Politics, and Cultures in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
What Is a "People?"
What Is Politics?
What Is Government?
Forms of Government.
What Is Culture?
What Is a State?
What Is a Nation?
Africa, Asia, Latin America, Middle East.
2. Religion and Politics.
Christianity in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
3. Nationalism, Colonialism, and Independence.
What is Nationalism?
The Struggle for National Liberation.
4. Global and Domestic Inequalities.
Growing Inequality Between North and South.
5. Global Interdependence.
The Global Reality.
Global Interdependence and Your Life.
Terrorism and Globalization.
II. CHALLENGES OF DEVELOPMENT IN AFRICA, ASIA AND LATIN AMERICA.
6. Challenges of Development.
What Is Development?
The Role of Government in Development.
Theories of Development.
Factors Facilitating and Impending Development.
7. Costs of Development.
Social and Cultural Costs of Development.
Economic and Political Costs of Development.
8. Women in the Developing World.
The Roles of Women.
The Status of Women.
Women in Development.
Women in Agriculture.
Women's Political Participation.
Women Leaders in the Developing World.
9. Transitions to Democracy and Human Rights.
III. LEADERSHIP AND PUBLIC POLICY.
10. Political Leadership.
Revolutionary Military Leaders: Nasser of Egypt.
Transitional Military Leaders: The Case of Nigeria.
Conservative Military Leaders: The Case of Chile.
The Monarch as Leader: Saudi Arabia.
Communist Leaders: The Case of Cuba's Castro.
Leaders in Democracies: The Case of India.
The Bureaucracy in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
IV. ETHNIC CONFLICTS, MIGRATION, AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS.
12. Ethnicity, Ethnic Conflicts, and Conflict Resolution.
Ethnicity and Ethnic Identity.
The Causes of Ethnic Conflict.
The Costs of Ethnic Conflict.
Ethnic Conflicts in Africa.
Ethnic Conflicts in Asia.
Ethnic Conflicts in Latin America.
Resolving Ethnic Conflict.
What Is Migration?
Causes of Migration.
War, Ethnic Conflicts and Refugees.
Economic Causes of Migrations.
The Impact of Migration on Poor Countries.
The Impact of Migration on Rich Countries.
14. Foreign Relations of Developing Countries.
Making Foreign Policy in Developing Countries.
The Developing World and the United States.
Conflict and Cooperation Among Developing Countries.
Regional Economic and Political Integration.
Foreign Relations of Developing Countries.
Glossary of Terms.
Glossary of Political Parties, Organizations, and Political Movements.
Glossary of People and Ethnic Groups.