Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
Bruce Gibson is Professor of Latin at Liverpool University.
Thomas Harrison is Professor of of Ancient History & Classical Archaeology at Liverpool University.
Table of Contents
Notes on Contributors
Welcome to the Liverpool conference F.W. Walbank
1. Introduction: F.W. Walbank, Polybius and the decline of Greece, Bruce Gibson and Thomas Harrison
2. A piece of work which would occupy some years. OUP Archive Files 814152, 814173, 814011, John Henderson
3. Polybius, Phylarchus and 'Tragic History': A Reconsideration, John Marincola
4. Polybius, Aratus and the history of the 140th Olympiad, Andrew Meadows
5. Some misunderstandings of Polybius in Livy, John Briscoe
6. Polybius Roman prokataskeue, Hans Beck
7. Historiographic Patterns and Historical Obstacles in Polybius' Histories: Marcellus, Flaminius, and the Mamertine Crisis, Craige Champion
8. Polybius and Xenophon: the Mercenary War, Bruce Gibson
9. Youthfulness in Polybius: the case of Philip V of Macedon, B.C. McGing
10. Frank Walbank's Philippos Tragoidoumenos: Polybius' account of Philip's last years, Boris Dreyer
11. Polybius in Context: the Political Dimension of the Histories, John Thornton
12. How to Rule the World: Polybius book 6 reconsidered, Andrew Erskine
13. Polybius distortions of the Roman constitution : a simpl(istic) explanation, Robin Seager
14. Polybius and Josephus on Rome, Erich S. Gruen
15. The rise and fall of the Boeotians: Polybius 20.4-7 as a literary topos, Christel Muller
16. Zeno of Rhodes and the Rhodian view of the past, Hans-Ulrich Wiemer
17. The mighty and the sage: Scipio Aemilianus, Polybius and the quest for friendship in second century Rome, Michael Sommer
18. Mediterranean economies through the text of Polybios, J.K. Davies
19. Imagining the Imperial Mediterranean, Josephine Crawley Quinn
20. Growing up with Polybius, Mitzi Walbank
Index of passages cited