Featuring over 100 readings from a wide range of sources and writers, The Pop, Rock, and Soul Reader, Third Edition, provides a rich and engaging introduction to the development of American popular music and the important social and cultural issues raised by its study. The third edition brings together a vast array of selections from sources that include mainstream and specialized magazines, newspapers, scholarly journals, interviews, and autobiographies of musicians and other music industry insiders, plus ten new readings on timely topics such as:
* The emerging influence of digital technology like autotune and filesharing on popular music
* The integration of popular music and reality TV through shows like American Idol
* Lady Gaga's meteoric rise to fame and its inextricable link to new media
* A retrospective look at and reevaluation of Michael Jackson's long career
* The global impact of legendary artist Bob Marley and reggae
Visit the companion website at www.oup.com/us/brackett for additional study resources.