Questions About This Book?
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Stephen D. Brookfield is Distinguished University Professor at the University of St. Thomas in Minneapolis, Minnesota. For forty years he has taught in England, Canada, Australia, and the United States. A six-time winner of the Cyril O. Houle Award for Outstanding Literature in Adult Education, he is the author of numerous books on teaching including Teaching for Critical Thinking, The Skillful Teacher, and Understanding and Facilitating Adult Learning, all from Jossey-Bass.
Table of Contents
About the Author xix
1. The Essence of Powerful Teaching 1
2. Teaching for Critical Thinking 35
3. Using Discussion Methods 63
4. Fostering Self-Directed Learning 89
5. Democratizing the Classroom 119
6. Teaching About Power 149
7. Teaching Using the Creative Arts 185
8. Negotiating the Emotions of Powerful Teaching 217