Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Thomas Kjeller Johansen studied Philosophy and Classics at Cambridge, before taking up lectureships at Bristol, Edinburgh and Oxford. He has held a British Academy Research Readership, a membership at the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, and a fellowship the Center for Hellenic Studies, Washington DC. He is the author of Plato's Natural Philosophy (CUP, 2004), Aristotle on the Sense-Organs (CUP, 1998), and the translator of Plato, Timaeus and Critias (Penguin Classics, 2008).
Table of Contents
1. Circumscribing the soul
2. Towards a scientific definition of the soul
3. Parts and unity in the definition of the soul
4. The definition of dunamis
5. The priority of the objects over the capacities of the soul
6. The importance of nutrition
7. The soul as an efficient cause
8. The matter of the soul's activities
9. The perceptual capacity extended
11. The intellect and the limits of naturalism
12. The locomotive capacity
13. The descent from definition: The capacities of the soul applied
14. The capacities in the Parts and lives of animals