We learn often in life, but only once as a child. This popular book will help future teachers make the most of this special time. Here is complete coverage of how children learn, what they can learn, and how to teach them. The focus is on creating a child-centered curriculum that addresses children's needs in all developmental areas--physical, social, emotional, creative, and cognitive. The authors provide a wealth of meaningful teaching strategies--accompanied by lesson plans, activities, recipes, and more--that will meet the needs and interests of children ages three to eight, all synchronized to these children's developmental skills and cognitive capabilities. For teachers and future teachers specializing in Early Childhood Education.
I. INTRODUCTION TO EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION.
1. Early Childhood Education.
2. A Developmentally Appropriate Early Childhood Program.
3. Developing Partnerships with Parents.
4. Planning the Curriculum.
II. PERSONAL AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT.
5. People and Their Diversity.
6. Myself and My Family.
7. Myself and My Body.
III. COGNITIVE AND LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT.
8. Language and Literacy Development.
9. Physical Science Experiences.
10. Earth Science Experiences.
11. Life Science Experiences.
12. Problem Solving and Mathematics.
IV. AESTHETIC AND CREATIVE DEVELOPMENT.
13. Music and Movement.
14. Creativity, Art, and Dramatic Activities.
Appendix A: Lesson Plans.
Appendix B: Recipes for Food Experiences.