Questions About This Book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
For courses in Art Appreciation, Art courses for non-majors, and one-semester Introduction to Art classes.
From the First Edition in 1972, ARTFORMS has been as visually exciting as the individual works of art that are reproduced in it. ARTFORMS grew out of a desire to introduce art through an engaging visual experience. It is written and designed to help readers build an informed foundation for individual understanding and enjoyment of art. By introducing art theory, practice, and history in a single volume, this book aims to draw students into a new or expanded awareness of the visual arts. The goal is to engage readers in the process of realizing their own innate creativity.
In the new, Eighth Edition, the title has been modified to Prebles' ARTFORMS, acknowledging the pioneering contribution of the original authors, Duane and Sarah Preble, to the study of art. Their vision and spirit have touched hundreds of thousands of students who have studied ARTFORMS.
- Biography Essays profile important artists from across time and across the world. This helps give students more information about well-known artists and to expose students to the interesting and inspiring work of today’s contemporary artists who are making a difference.
- Art in the World Essays - show what happens when art interacts with public affairs and helps students be better informed citizens.
- Artist at Work Essays highlight interviews with six contemporary artists, showing that artists’ creativity is a rational process of making choices in order to arrive at a statement that expresses their vision. Each Artist at Work essay is accompanied by a video of author Patrick Frank interviewing the artist about the work of art. These videos are found on MyArtKit, a dynamic online resource.
- Emphasis on the coverage of global art, diverse art, and comtemporary art: Artforms is the only book on the market that has an entire chapter dedicated to modern art in the nonwestern world.
Table of Contents
|The Nature of Art|
|Awareness, Creativity, and Communication|
|The Language of Visual Experience|
|Principles of Design|
|The Media of Art|
|Camera Arts and Digital Imaging|
|Clay, Glass, Metal, Wood, Fiber|
|Art as Cultural Heritage|
|From the Earliest Art to the Bronze Age|
|The Classical and Medieval West|
|Renaissance and Baroque Europe|
|Traditional Arts of Asia|
|The Islamic World|
|Africa, Oceania, and the Americas|
|The Modern World|
|Late Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries|
|Early Twentieth Century|
|Between World Wars|
|Postwar Modern Movements in the West|
|Modern Art Beyond the West|
|The Postmodern World|
|Postmodernity and Global Art|
|Table of Contents provided by Publisher. All Rights Reserved.|