Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
How do rental returns work?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
ALERT: Before you purchase, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are not transferable. In addition, you may need a CourseID, provided by your instructor, to register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products.
Access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included when purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson; check with the seller before completing your purchase.
Used or rental books
If you rent or purchase a used book with an access code, the access code may have been redeemed previously and you may have to purchase a new access code.
Access codes that are purchased from sellers other than Pearson carry a higher risk of being either the wrong ISBN or a previously redeemed code. Check with the seller prior to purchase.
¿Prehospital Emergency Care, Tenth Edition, meets the National EMS Education Standards and is the most complete resource for EMT training. This best-selling, student-friendly book contains clear, step-by-step explanations with comprehensive, stimulating, and challenging material that prepares users for real on-the-job situations. Featuring case studies, state-of-the-art scans, algorithms, protocols, and the inclusion of material above and beyond the the minimum National EMS Education Standards, the tenth edition effectively prepares students for success. The assessment and emergency care sections provide the most up-to-date information for providing competent care; and the expanded information on pathophysiology further enhance students’ ability to understand conditions, signs and symptoms, and assess and manage ill and injured patients in prehospital environments. The text’s table of contents is organized to follow the National EMS Educational Standards.
Table of Contents
Standard Public Health
1. Emergency Medical Care Systems, Research, and Public Health
2. Workforce Safety and Wellness of the EMT
3. Medical, Legal, and Ethical Issues
6. Lifting and Moving Patients
Standard Anatomy and Physiology
Standard Medical Terminology
7. Anatomy, Physiology, and Medical Terminology
Standard Life Span Development
9. Life Span Development
Standard Airway Management, Respiration, and Artificial Ventilation
10. Airway Management, Artificial Ventilation, and Oxygenation
11. Baseline Vital Signs, Monitoring Devices, and History Taking
12. Scene Size-Up
13. Patient Assessment
14. Pharmacology and Medication Administration
Standard Shock and Resuscitation
15. Shock and Resuscitation
16. Respiratory Emergencies
17. Cardiovascular Emergencies
18. Altered Mental Status, Stroke, and Headache
19. Seizures and Syncope
20. Acute Diabetic Emergencies
21. Anaphylactic Reactions
22. Toxicologic Emergencies
23. Abdominal, Gynecologic, Genitourinary, and Renal Emergencies
24. Environmental Emergencies
25. Submersion Incidents: Drowning and Diving Emergencies
26. Behavioral Emergencies
27. Trauma Overview: The Trauma Patient and the Trauma System
28. Bleeding and Soft Tissue Trauma
30. Musculoskeletal Trauma
31. Head Trauma
32. Spinal Column and Spinal Cord Trauma
33. Eye, Face, and Neck Trauma
34. Chest Trauma
35. Abdominal and Genitourinary Trauma
36. Multisystem Trauma and Trauma in Special Patient Populations
Standard Special Patient Populations
37. Obstetrics and Care of the Newborn
40. Patients with Special Challenges
41. The Returning Combat Veteran
Standard EMS Operations
42. Ambulance Operations and Air Medical Response
43. Gaining Access and Patient Extrication
44. Hazardous Materials
45. Multiple-Casualty Incidents and Incident Management
46. EMS Response to Terrorism Involving Weapons of Mass Destruction
Appendix 1. ALS-Assist Skills
Appendix 2. Advanced Airway Management