Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
Cindy L. Stanfield earned both a B.S. and a Ph.D. in physiology at the University of California at Davis. Her exposure to neurophysiology research as an undergraduate student sparked her interest in pursuing a Ph.D. As a graduate student, Stanfield studied the role of neuropeptides in pain modulation and taught several physiology laboratory courses, which led to her interest in teaching. She currently teaches human physiology lecture and laboratory courses and neuroscience at the University of South Alabama, and she continues with her neurophysiology research on sensory modulation. Stanfield received the College of Allied Health Professions Excellence in Service Award in 2003 and the University of South Alabama Alumni Association Excellence in Teaching Award in 2004. In addition to teaching and research responsibilities, she serves as the advisor for health preprofessionals at the University of South Alabama. Stanfield is a member of the Society for Neuroscience, the International Association for the Study of Pain, the American Pain Society, and the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions. She lives in Mobile, Alabama, with her husband, Jim, and their many cats and dogs.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Physiology
2. The Cell: Structure and Function
3. Cell Metabolism
4. Cell Membrane Transport
5. Chemical Messengers
6. The Endocrine System: Endocrine Glands and Hormone Actions
7. Nerve Cells and Electrical Signaling
8. Synaptic Transmission and Neural Integration
9. The Nervous System: Central Nervous System
10. The Nervous System: Sensory Systems
11. The Nervous System: Autonomic and Motor Systems
12. Muscle Physiology
13. The Cardiovascular System: Cardiac Function
14. The Cardiovascular System: Blood Vessels, Blood Flow and Blood Pressure
15. The Cardiovascular System: Blood
16. The Respiratory System: Pulmonary Ventilation
17. The Respiratory System: Gas Exchange and Regulation of Breathing
18. The Urinary System: Renal Function
19. The Urinary System: Fluid and Electrolyte Balance
20. The Gastrointestinal System
21. Regulation of Energy Metabolism and Growth
22. The Reproductive System
23. The Immune System
24. Diabetes Mellitus: The Epidemic