Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
This book is widely used both as a textbook for college and university classes in police management and as a reference text for police managers in dealing with operational issues in their department, as well as for training police supervisors and administrators and is required reading for civil service promotional examinations.
Proactive Police Management , 9e, is the widely used text for criminal justice and police science programs that emphasizes a contemporary and proactive approach to police management. Various police management styles are addressed throughout, from traditional scientific management to the behavioral/systems approach to the human relations approach. Its chapters take a realistic look at operational problems that can occur within a police department and how a consultative, proactive management style can help solve and resolve them. Fully updated in this edition, its goal is to reveal how proactive management techniques and new technology are revolutionizing police management today.
Teaching and Learning
This edition of Proactive Police Management provides a review, analysis, and synthesis of the various approaches to police management, including traditional scientific management, the behavioral/systems approach, and the human relations approach. It provides:
- Proactive approach to police management: Takes a realistic look at issues and operational problems and discusses various police management styles
- Strong coverage of technology: The application of new technology continues to revolutionize policing as well as other private and public services in the United States
- Comprehensive pedagogical features: Gives students the tools to master key concepts faster and more effectively, and provides support for instructors
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Historical Perspective
Chapter 2 Police Culture
Chapter 3 The Art and Style of Proactive Police Leadership
Chapter 4 Purposes and Principles of Police Organizations
Chapter 5 Operating Principles
Chapter 6 Proactive Communication and Information Management
Chapter 7 Proactive Police Technology for the Twenty-First Century
Chapter 8 Patrol Operations and Community Policing
Chapter 9 Basic Line Functions
Chapter 10 Administrative/Staff Functions
Chapter 11 Auxiliary Functions
Chapter 12 Human Resources Management
Chapter 13 Training
Chapter 14 Proactive Planning
Chapter 15 Collective Bargaining and Police Management
Chapter 16 The Future of Proactive Police Management