Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Afaf Kamal-Eldin, Ph.D. is Professor at United Arab Emirates University, Department of Food Science.
Table of Contents
Part One: Properties of Fats, Oils and Bioactive Lipids.
2. Chemical, and Physical Properties of Lipids -- General chemistry of fats and oils is included here with a focus on functional and nutritional properties.
3. Biochemical and Bioactive Properties of Fats and Oils -- This chapter includes the more well known essential fatty acids but also other newer bioactive lipids – i.e., conjugated linoleic acids and conjugated long chain omega 3.
4. Nutraceutical and Functional Properties of Specialty Lipids -- This chapter includes a survey of unconventional oils that have created niche markets and have valuable nutritional properties..
Part Two: Techniques to Process and Modify Edible Oils.
5. Current Processing Techniques for Fats and Oils -- Coverage includes conventional processing technologies and how the different processing steps change the nutritional properties of fats and oils.
6. Processing of Oils for Functional and Nutritional Applications -- This chapter includes technologies to produce healthier oils including modified cold pressing, supercritical extraction and refining.
7. Modified Oils: Synthesis and Applications of Structured Lipids and Phospholipids -- Coverage includes the latest technologies to produce structured lipids – i.e., DAG, omega 3 esters, sterol-phopholipids esters..
Part Three: Nutritional Aspects of Lipids.
8. New Developments in Micronutrient Lipids -- This area is still developing and this chapter includes lipids and lipid derivatives – i.e., lipoproteins, lipoglucosides – that have started to have applications as bioactive supplements.
9. Role of Antioxidants in Processing of Foods and Human Diet -- This chapter includes the current issues of the use of antioxidants to prevent fats and oils deterioration plus the role they play in the metabolic processes and disease prevention.
10. Nutrigenomics and Lipids in the Human Diet -- This is one of the most recent and exciting areas. This chapter addresses lipidogenomics as it relates to nutrigenomics, focusing on the use of these techniques to assess individual diets needs and promote health.
11. Role of Lipids and Essential Fatty Acids in Infant Diets -- This is another area that is fast developing in the area of infant formula supplemented with essential fatty acids and other nutrients. This chapter covers new product formulations for infants and lactating mothers.
12. Formulation of Foods with Bioactive and Functional Lipids -- This chapter includes new foods fortified with supplements including bioactive lipids and techniques to design nutritionally balanced food products.
13. Cosmetic and Pharmaceutical Properties of Fats and Oils -- This is another area that is fast developing. This chapter includes use of lipid nutraceuticals for health promotions and disease prevention and the use of specialty lipids in cosmetic applications.
14. Regulatory Aspects, Labeling, and Certification of Fats and Oils in Foods -- The use of lipids and other nutritional supplements are on the increase. Issues such as health claims, organic and all natural labeling of foods are addressed in this chapter.