Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
Kirsten Gengel investigates pseudogapping, which, she proposes, is one variety of ellipsis. At the heart of her discussion lies the interaction between focus and deletion. Her analysis - which draws on new research in Icelandic, Norwegian, Danish, and Dutch, as well as data from Portuguese, French, and English - provides a novel approach to not only this particular form of ellipsis but to the derivation of ellipsis in general, and has the potential of unifying several elliptical phenomena in generative grammar.
Table of Contents
Part I: Introduction
2. An Overview of the Book
3. Previous Accounts of Pseudogapping
Part II: Movement
4. A-movement in Pseudogapping
5. A-bar-movement in Pseudogapping
Part III: Deletion
6. The Semantics of Focus and Ellipsis
7. The Deletion Process
8. Movement and Deletion: a uniform account of ellipsis