Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Table of Contents
PART I INTRODUCTION
1. The World of Public Personnel Management
Exercise: Values and Functions in Public Personnel Management
Case Study: Political Clearance for “Buck” Pleake
2. Doing Public HRM in the United States
Case Study: Choosing a Municipal Personnel Director
PART II PLANNING
3. Strategic Thinking about HRM
Exercise: Evaluating Your Human Resources Management System
4. The HR Role in Planning, Budgeting, Performance Management and Program Evaluation
Case Study #1: A Day In The Life Of A City Manager
Case Study #2: Privatization
Case Study #3: Between A Rock And A Hard Place
5. Defining and Organizing Work
Case Study: Who’s Most Qualified to be Minority Recruitment Director?
6. Rewarding Work: Pay and Benefits
Case Study: Reducing Unscheduled Absenteeism
PART III ACQUISITION
7. Social Equity and Diversity Management
Exercise: Equal Employment Opportunity or Affirmative Action?
Case Study #1: Social Equity vs. Employee Rights
Case Study #2: From EEO & AA to Diversity Management
8. Recruitment, Selection and Promotion
Exercise: Driving Forces of Change in Recruitment and Selection
Case Study: Information Technology Recruitment
PART IV DEVELOPMENT
9. Leadership and Performance in Turbulent Times
Case Study #1: Requiem for a Good Soldier
Case Study #2: Recruiting a Water Plant Technician
Exercise: Psychological Contracts
10. Training, Education and Staff Development
Case Study #1: Develop A Diversity Training Program
Case Study #2: Training Vignettes
Case Study #3: “How Should This Management Team Work Together?”
11. Performance Appraisal
Case Study: Evaluating Appraisal Instruments
12. Safety and Health
Case Study #1: Developing a Workplace AIDS Policy
Case Study #2: Workplace Violence: “In Hindsight, We Could See it Coming”
PART V SANCTIONS
13. Organizational Justice
Case Study: Juan Hernandez vs. The County
14. Collective Bargaining
Case Study: Good Management Or Bargaining In Bad Faith?