Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
What is included with this book?
For courses in Integrated Reading & Writing and Intermediate Reading.
Helps students read and write critically about contemporary issues
Reading and Writing About Contemporary Issues builds on students’ reading and writing skills through examples for analysis. Each nonfiction reading is organized into units that focus on contemporary issues, and has been chosen to interest and motivate students. Readings are drawn from a variety of sources, such as books, textbooks, periodicals, popular magazines, newspapers, blogs, websites, and Internet sources.
Readings are used as direct learning tools rather than additional examples. The instructional components of each chapter are built around reading samples, and each has been reorganized based on level of difficulty. This versatile presentation adapts easily for a wide range of students.
Also available with MySkillsLab ®
MySkillsLab is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program designed to engage readers and improve results. Within its structured environment, readers practice what they learn, test their understanding, and pursue a personalized study plan that helps them better absorb course material and understand difficult concepts.
Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; MySkillsLab does not come packaged with this content. Students, if interested in purchasing this title with MySkillsLab, ask your instructor for the correct package ISBN and Course ID. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information.
If you would like to purchase both the physical text and MySkillsLab, search for:
0134112415 / 9780134112411 Reading and Writing About Contemporary Issues Plus MySkillsLab with Pearson eText – Access Card Package, 2e
Package consists of:
- 0133949613 / 9780133949612 Reading and Writing About Contemporary Issues
- 0133995151 / 9780133995152 MySkillsLab with Pearson eText – Inside Star Sticker
- 0133995178 / 9780133995176 MySkillsLab with Pearson eText
Kathleen T. McWhorter has taught reading and writing courses for over 30 years at Niagara County Community College. Her many titles provide various and flexible approaches to teaching reading and writing strategies that accommodate a range of learning and teaching styles.
All of the McWhorter books share three fundamental characteristics that have led to enormous success in the classroom:
INTEGRATION OF READING AND WRITING
Reading and its integral connection to writing is emphasized throughout the books, helping students to see reading and writing as complementary processes.
FOCUS ON CRITICAL THINKING
McWhorter recognizes, and features throughout her books, the role and benefits of critical thinking in the reading and writing processes.
EMPHASIS ON VISUAL LITERACY
Print and electronic sources, including textbooks, are becoming increasingly visual. McWhorter's books include chapters, exercises, and features that all reinforce visual literacy.
I. A HANDBOOK FOR READING AND WRITING IN COLLEGE
1. The Reading Process
2. The Writing Process
3. Vocabulary for Readers and Writers
4. Main Ideas and Topic Sentences
5. Supporting Details, Transitions, and Implied Main Ideas
6. Revision and Proofreading
7. Reading and Writing Organizational Patterns
8. Writing Essays and Documented Papers
9. Critical Thinking: Reading and Writing
10. Analyzing Issues and Arguments
II. READING AND WRITING ABOUT CONTEMPORARY ISSUES
11. Defining Ourselves: Our Multiple Identities
12. Our Environment: Problems and Solutions
13. Relationships: Our Friends, Families, and Communities
14. Science and Ethics: Where Do We Draw the Line?
15. Communication and Technology: Life Online and Offline
16. Conformity and Nonconformity: Following and Breaking the Rules
17. Personal Freedoms and Limitations: Lifestyle Choices
III. CASEBOOK FOR CRITICAL THINKING: GLOBAL WARMING AND CLIMATE CHANGE