Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to inclue any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Learn the art and technology involved in designing and producing great documents for print
- Adobe Creative Suite workflow.
- Author Claudia McCue has decades of experience in print production.
- Contains a wealth of technical information about the printing process.
The advent of desktop publishing granted new levels of power and control to the layout artist and graphic designer, but it hasn't made the process of getting the perfect print foolproof.
Sometimes managing the disparate elements of fonts, images, colors, and more, while dealing with the quirks of page-layout applications makes even the bravest designer and production editor long for the hands-on days of moveable type.
Creating a great layout on your monitor is only half the battle; how do you make it work on paper? Print production expert Claudia McCue takes on the challenge of putting ink to paper, offering clear, authoritative guidance to print professionals and anyone else who has been frustrated by the obstacles of getting electronic documents to print perfectly.
This new edition of Claudia's classic book is now fully Adobe-centric, and shows readers how to use the different applications in the Adobe Creative Suite 4 together to create and produce great print documents. Use Photoshop and Illustrator to create raster and vector images, and combine them with text in InDesign to create eye-catching yet readable page layouts. Learn the ins and outs of fonts, and gain a better understanding of how ink and paper work together.
Finally, 'prefilight' or prepare your job for submission to a printer to make sure the printing process goes off without a hitch.
Table of Contents
Chapter One: Life Cycle of a Print Job
Chapter Two: Ink on Paper
Chapter Three: Binding and Finishing
Chapter Four: Preparing Raster Images
Chapter Five: Vector Graphics
Chapter Six: Fonts
Chapter Seven: Cross-Platform Issues
Chapter Eight: Job Submission
Chapter Nine: Photoshop CS4 Production Tips
Chapter Ten: Illustrator CS4 Production Tips
Chapter Eleven: InDesign CS4 Production Tips
Chapter Twelve: Acrobat Production Tips
Appendix: Print Production Resources