Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Laurel Fulkerson is an Associate Professor at Florida State University. In addition to work on the emotions, she has published articles on gender, Latin, and Greek poetry. She has held visiting fellowships at the University of Cincinnati, Exeter College, and St. Anne's College, Oxford.
Table of Contents
1. Prequel: A Penitent Emperor
2. Emotions, Remorse, and Consistency
3. The Shape of Ancient Remorse: Vocabulary and Definitions
4. Structure and Outline of the Book
Remorse in Action: Case Studies
5. Agamemnon, Achilles, and the Homeric Roots of Remorse
6. Neoptolemus and the Essential Elements of Remorse
7. Hermione s Feigned Regret
8. Killing Cleitus: Alexander s Fruitless Remorse
9. Comedy Means (Almost) Never Having to Say You re Sorry
10. Ovid and the Coercion of Remorse from Above
11. Nero s Degenerate Remorse
12. Command Performance: Mutiny in the Roman Army
13. Plutarch on Consistency and the Statesman
14. Late Antiquity and the Conversion of Emotion
15. Final (Re)considerations