More New and Used
from Private Sellers
Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
This is the edition with a publication date of 1/28/2014.
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Fergus Millar is Camden Professor of Ancient History (Emeritus) at the University of Oxford.
Table of Contents
PROLOGUE: EXCAVATING THE BIBLE
I. A GREEK CHRISTIAN WORLD?
1. Introduction: Christians and Jews in Gerasa
2. The Late Roman Near East: Time and Space
3. . Aramaic-speaking Pagans in the Christian Period?
4. A Greek World, Pagan and Christian
5. Greek Literary Culture in the Near East
6. Greek Christianity in its Local Context: Documentary Evidence
II. JEWS AND SAMARITANS IN A GREEK CHRISTIAN WORLD
1. Introduction: Greek in Palestine
2. Religious and Ethnic Communities in Palestine: Co-existence and Conflict
3. Samaritan Religion and Culture
4. Jews and Judaism in Palestine
5. The Jewish Diaspora: (a) The Mediterranean Coast and the Orontes Valley (b) From Arabia to Mesopotamia
III. SYRIANS AND SARACENS: SURYOYE AND TAYYOYE
1. Introduction: Sixth-century Divisions
2. The Background: the Third and Fourth Centuries
3. Syriac and Greek, 373-485
4. Syriac, 373-485: Inscriptions and Manuscripts
5. Syriac Writing before 485
6. The Flowering of Syriac from 485
7. Saracens or Tayyoye
EPILOGUE: CONNECTING TO MUHAMMAD?