More New and Used
from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
Renting is easy, fast, and cheap! Renting from eCampus.com can save you hundreds of dollars compared to the cost of new or used books each semester. At the end of the semester, simply ship the book back to us with a free UPS shipping label! No need to worry about selling it back.
How do rental returns work?
Returning books is as easy as possible. As your rental due date approaches, we will email you several courtesy reminders. When you are ready to return, you can print a free UPS shipping label from our website at any time. Then, just return the book to your UPS driver or any staffed UPS location. You can even use the same box we shipped it in!
What version or edition is this?
This is the edition with a publication date of 1/28/2014.
What is included with this book?
Fergus Millar is Camden Professor of Ancient History (Emeritus) at the University of Oxford.
Table of Contents
PROLOGUE: EXCAVATING THE BIBLE
I. A GREEK CHRISTIAN WORLD?
1. Introduction: Christians and Jews in Gerasa
2. The Late Roman Near East: Time and Space
3. . Aramaic-speaking Pagans in the Christian Period?
4. A Greek World, Pagan and Christian
5. Greek Literary Culture in the Near East
6. Greek Christianity in its Local Context: Documentary Evidence
II. JEWS AND SAMARITANS IN A GREEK CHRISTIAN WORLD
1. Introduction: Greek in Palestine
2. Religious and Ethnic Communities in Palestine: Co-existence and Conflict
3. Samaritan Religion and Culture
4. Jews and Judaism in Palestine
5. The Jewish Diaspora: (a) The Mediterranean Coast and the Orontes Valley (b) From Arabia to Mesopotamia
III. SYRIANS AND SARACENS: SURYOYE AND TAYYOYE
1. Introduction: Sixth-century Divisions
2. The Background: the Third and Fourth Centuries
3. Syriac and Greek, 373-485
4. Syriac, 373-485: Inscriptions and Manuscripts
5. Syriac Writing before 485
6. The Flowering of Syriac from 485
7. Saracens or Tayyoye
EPILOGUE: CONNECTING TO MUHAMMAD?