A core text for General K-12 Methods courses. This concise resource guide uses an engaging writing style that helps students learn, practice, discuss, implement, and evaluate a broad spectrum of effective teaching skills and strategies. The central strength is its practical approach, which is supported by numerous hands on activities, opportunities for practice, case studies, and sample lessons. It equips students with examples of best practices, current research, and proven teaching strategies. One of the most comprehensive methods books available, it is an ideal general methods core text for those who are searching for a criterion-referenced, performance-based learning model to shape future teachers who are both dedicated and competent.
I. ORIENTATION TO TEACHING AND LEARNING.
1. Teaching and Learning in Today's Schools.
2. Celebrating and Building upon the Diverse Characteristics and Needs of Youth: The Nature of the Challenge.
3. The Expectations, Responsibilities, and Facilitating Behaviors of a Classroom Teacher.
4. Establishing and Maintaining an Effective, Safe, and Supportive Classroom Learning Environment.
II. PLANNING FOR INSTRUCTION.
5. Planning: The Curriculum and Its Content.
6. Planning: The Instructional Unit.
III. STRATEGIES, AIDS, MEDIA, AND RESOURCES FOR EFFECTIVE INSTRUCTION.
7. Strategies for Teaching: Questioning.
8. Strategies for Teaching: Grouping and Assignments for Positive Interaction and Quality Learning.
9. Strategies for Teaching: Teacher Talk, Demonstrations, Thinking, Inquiry, and Games.
10. Strategies for Teaching: Aids, Media, and Resources.
IV. ASSESSMENT AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT.
11. Assessing and Reporting Student Achievement.
12. Assessing Teaching Effectiveness and Continued Professional Development.