The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included. This is true even if the title states it includes any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
This collection of readings in moral theory and moral issues from major Western philosophers is the successful companion reader for Rachels' text, The Elements of Moral Philosophy. This anthology explores further the theories and issues introduced in that volume, in their original and classic formulations. The collection can stand on its own as the text for a course in moral philosophy, or it can be used to supplement any introductory text.
Table of Contents
* indicates new to this edition
1. A Short Introduction to Moral Philosophy, James Rachels
2. Some Basic Points about Arguments, James Rachels
Part I: THEORIES ABOUT THE NATURE OF MORALITY
*3. The Subjectivity of Values, J.L. Mackie
4. The Virtues, Aristotle
5. Ethics and Natural Law, St. Thomas Aquinas
6. The Social Contract, Thomas Hobbes
7. Morality as Based on Sentiment, David Hume
8. Utilitarianism, John Stuart Mill
9. The Categorical Imperative, Immanuel Kant
Part II: ESSAYS ABOUT MORAL ISSUES
10. Why Abortion is Immoral, Don Marquis
*11. A Defense of Abortion, Judith Jarvis Thomson
12. Will Cloning Harm People?, Gregory E. Pence
13. Is Homosexuality Unnatural?, Burton M. Leiser
*14. 9/11 and Starvation, Mylan Engel, Jr.
15. The Singer Solution to World Poverty, Peter Singer
*16. Utilitarianism and Integrity, Bernard Williams
17. The Morality of Euthanasia, James Rachels
18. Assisted Suicide: Pro-Choice or Anti-Life?, Richard Doerflinger
19. All Animals Are Equal, Peter Singer
*20. Do Animals Have Rights?, Tibor R. Machan
*21. The Immorality of SUVs and Trucks, Douglas Husak
22. Preserving the Environment, Thomas E. Hill, Jr.
23. The Ethics of War and Peace, Douglas P. Lackey
24. In Defense of the Death Penalty, Ernest van den Haag
25. The Case against the Death Penalty, Hugo A. Bedau
*26. Americas Unjust Drug War, Michael Huemer
*27. The Experience Machine, Robert Nozick
*28. The Feminist Revelation, Christina Hoff Sommers
*29. Is Racial Discrimination Arbitrary?, Peter Singer
30. Letter from the Birmingham City Jail, Martin Luther King, Jr.