Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Alan Bowman is Principal of Brasenose College and Emeritus Camden Professor of Ancient History at Oxford University. His research interests focus on papyrology, the Vindolanda Writing-Tablets, and the social and economic history of Ptolemaic and Roman Egypt and the Roman Empire.
Andrew Wilson is Professor of the Archaeology of the Roman Empire and Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford, Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, and Chairman of the Society for Libyan Studies. He has directed excavations in Italy, Tunisia, and Libya, and is the author of numerous articles on ancient water supply, ancient technology, economy, and trade.
Table of Contents
List of Contributors
List of Figures
List of Tables
1. Introduction: Quantifying Roman Agriculture, Alan Bowman and Andrew Wilson
2. The State and Production in the Roman Agrarian Economy, Dennis Kehoe
3. GIS Models of Roman Agricultural Production, Helen Goodchild
4. Agricultural Production in the Hinterland of Rome: Wine and Olive Oil, Annalisa Marzano
5. Capital Investment and Agriculture: Multi-Press Facilities from Gaul, the Iberian Peninsula and the Black Sea region, Annalisa Marzano
6. The Rural Landscape of Thugga: Farms, Presses, Mills and Transport, Mariette de Vos
7. Agricultural Productivity in Roman Egypt, Alan Bowman
8. The Agricultural Economy of the Mendesian Nome during the Roman Period, Katherine Blouin
9. Mechanical irrigation: water-lifting devices in the archaeological evidence and in the Egyptian papyri, Myrto Malouta and Andrew Wilson
10. Agriculture in the Faynan: Food Supply for Industry, Hannah Friedman