Thoroughly revised, The Sacred Paths of the West, Second Edition, includes the following features:
- Up-to-date information and scholarly perspectives, including extensive suggestions for reading from recent publications.
- A new chapter on Zoroastrianism, filling out the portrait of religions arising in the Mediterranean world.
- Coverage of many diverse religions in clear family groupings based on geographical and historical connections.
- A thematic and empathetic approach that encourages exploration of the personal meanings and experiences of people of different faiths.
- Extensive quotations from the sacred scriptures of each religion, helping students to get a sense of the power and meaning of these sacred texts.
- Significant material on artistic expressions in the different religious traditions.
- Incorporation of women's experiences and leadership roles within the various religious traditions.
- A chapter devoted to the rise of new religious movements.
Maps, timelines, discussion questions, and suggestions for further readings are some of the study features included in this book to help students understand the highly complex nature of the various religious traditions.