For Freshman Composition courses. Since the best-selling first edition, The Scott Foresman Handbook has proven again and again that a comprehensive handbook can be easy, practicaleven funto use. Each new edition has provided complete, up-to-date material on writing processes, argumentation, style, grammar, mechanics, and punctuation, in friendly and accessible language. Yet, new ground has been broken as the authors have anticipated new developments in writing influenced by new theories and new technologies. Earlier editions have led the field in addressing civic literacy, visual literacy, online research, service learning and other emerging trends. As a result of this forward-looking philosophy, writers using The Scott Foresman Handbook know what college writing means today and what writers will need to know tomorrow.
Table of Contents
PART I. WRITING PROCESSES.
1. What Does Writing Involve? 2. How Do You Find and Explore a Topic? 3. How Do You Focus and Organize a Writing Project? 4. How Do You Write a Draft? 5. How Do You Revise, Edit, and Proofread? 6. How Is Writing Evaluated?
PART II. WRITING FOR ACADEMIC AND PUBLIC FORUMS.
7. How Do You Write in College? 8. How Do You Use Course Web Sites and Campus Writing Centers? 9. How Do You Write for the Public? 10. How Do You Read and Think Critically? 11. How Do You Interpret Visual Rhetoric? 12. How Can You Write Powerful Arguments? 13. How Do You Design an Oral or Multimedia Presentation? 14. How Do You Write About Literature?
PART III. STYLE.
15. What Makes Paragraphs Work? 16. How Do You Manage Opening and Closing Paragraphs? 17. How Do You Manage Transition? 18. What Kinds of Language Can You Use? 19. How Do You Construct Effective Sentences? 20. How Do You Write Stylish Sentences?
PART IV. DESIGN AND SHAPE OF WRITING.
21. What Is Visual Design? 22. How Do You Design Documents? 23. How Do You Create Web Sites? 24. Model Documents.
PART V. GRAMMAR.
25. Questions About Subject-Verb Agreement? 26. Questions About Verb Tense, Voice, and Mood? 27. Questions About Verbals? 28. Questions About Plurals, Possessives, and Articles? 29. Questions About Pronoun Reference? 30. Questions About Pronoun Agreement? 31. Questions About Pronoun Case? 32. Questions About Pronoun Choices? 33. Questions About Modifiers? 34. Are You an ESL Writer? 35. ESL Questions About Verbs? 36. ESL Questions About Gerunds, Infinitives, Articles, or Number?
PART VI. PUNCTUATION AND MECHANICS.
37. How Do You Punctuate Sentence Endings? 38. Questions About Sentence Boundaries: Fragments, Comma Splices, and Run-ons? 39. Questions About Commas? 40. Questions About Semicolons and Colons? 41. Questions About Quotation Marks and Ellipses? 42. Questions About Parentheses and Brackets? 43. Questions About Dashes, Hyphens, and Slashes? 44. Questions About Italics and Capitalization? 45. Questions About Abbreviations and Numbers?
PART VII. RESEARCH AND WRITING.
46. How Do You Design a Research Project? 47. How Do You Find Information? 48. How Do You Evaluate Sources? 49. How Do You Use Sources Responsibly? 50. How Do You Handle Quotations? 51. How Do You Complete a Project?
PART VIII. DOCUMENTATION.
52. What is Documentation? 53. How Do You Use MLA Documentation? 54. How Do You Use APA Documentation? 55. How Do You Use CMS Documentation? 56. How Do You Use CSE Documentation? 57. How Do You Use COS Documentation? Glossary of Terms and Usage. Credits. Index.