This agenda-setting text has been fully revised in its second edition, with coverage extended into the Christian era. It remains the most comprehensive and engaging introduction to the sexual cultures of ancient Greece and Rome.
- Covers a wide range of subjects, including Greek pederasty and the symposium, ancient prostitution, representations of women in Greece and Rome, and the public regulation of sexual behavior
- Expanded coverage extends to the advent of Christianity, includes added illustrations, and offers student-friendly pedagogical features
- Text boxes supply intriguing information about tangential topics
- Gives a thorough overview of current literature while encouraging further reading and discussion
- Conveys the complexity of ancient attitudes towards sexuality and gender and the modern debates they have engendered