Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
The most dynamic, comprehensive, and student-friendly text on the nature of microorganisms and the fascinating processes they employ in producing infections disease
For more than a quarter-of-a-century, no other text has explained the link between microbiology and human disease states better than Sherris Medical Microbiology. Through a vibrant, engaging approach, this classic gives you a solid grasp of the significance of etiologic agents, the pathogenic processes, epidemiology, and the basis of therapy for infectious diseases.
Part I of Sherris Medical Microbiology opens with a non-technical chapter that explains the nature of infection and the infection agents. The following four chapters provide more detail about the immune response to infection and the prevention, epidemiology, and diagnosis of infectious disease. Parts II through V form the core of the text with chapters on the major viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic diseases. Each of these sections opens with chapters on basic biology, pathogenesis, and antimicrobial agents.
Features and Learning Aids:
- 57 chapters that simply and clearly describe the strains of viruses, bacteria, fungi, and parasites that can bring about infectious diseases
- Explanations of host-parasite relationship, dynamics of infection, and host response
- A clinical cases with USMLE-style questions concludes each chapter on the major viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic diseases
- All tables, photographs, and illustrations are in full color
- Clinical Capsules cover the essence of the disease(s) caused by major pathogens
- Margin Notes highlight key points within a paragraph to facilitate review
- In addition to the chapter-ending case questions, a collection of 100 practice questions is also included
Sometime in the future, an improved understanding of current worldwide infectious disease scourges will lead to their control. Hopefully, you will find the basis for that understanding presented in the pages of this book.