Your order must be $59 or more to qualify for free economy shipping.
Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace items, eBooks and apparel do not qualify for this offer.
Get Rewarded for Ordering Your Textbooks!Enroll Now
Customer ReviewsRead Reviews
Write a Review
List Price: $44.00
This brief spiral-bound reference handbook takes a user-friendly, reader-oriented approach--with additional features that give readersaccess to informationquickly. The author covers grammar, punctuation, thinking and reading critically, writing argument essays, writing research papers and documenting them, writing for the Web, designing documents, writing about literature, writing for business, and creating oral presentations. Offers a Premium Companion Website at www.prenhall.com/troyka that facilitates the research process and offers three exclusive databases full of relevant and reliable source material. Expands discussion of the research process from five to seven chapters. Offers a new chapter on writing arguments. Features a new chapter on Oral Presentation that explains how to plan, create, and present. Features a striking new four color design that highlights each key concept. Provides URL addresses throughout that helps readers access useful websites. The ideal reference for professionals of all kinds who want to improve their writing in both business and personal contexts.
Table of Contents
Tab. 1: Thinking Critically.
1. Thinking Critically. 2. Reading Critically. 3. Connecting Thinking and Reading to Writing. 4. Distinguishing Between Summary and Synthesis.
Tab 2: Writing Process.
5. Getting Started. 6. Drafting. 7. Revising, Editing, and Proofreading. 8. Composing Paragraphs. 9. Writing to Inform. 10. Writing to Argue.
Tab 3: Sentences.
11. Sentence Fragments. 12. Comma Splices and Run-on Sentences. 13. Problems with Sentence Shifts. 14. Problems with Misplaced Modifiers. 15. Conciseness. 16. Coordination and Subordination. 17. Sentence Style.
22. Starting a Research Project. 23. Developing a Search Strategy. 24. Finding, Evaluating, and Using Library Sources. 25. Finding, Evaluating, and Using Online Sources. 26. Using Sources and Avoiding Plagiarism. 27. Drafting and Revising a Research Paper.
Tab 6: MLA Documentation.
28. MLA In-Text Citations. 29. MLA Works Cited List. 30. A Student's MLA Research Paper.
Tab 7: APA, CM, CSE, and COS Documentation.
31. APA In-Text Citations. 32. APA References List. 33. A Student's APA Research Paper. 34. CM-Style Documentation. 35. CSE-Style Documentation. 36. COS-Style Documentation.
Tab 8: Document and Web Design.
37. Principles of Document Design. 38. Writing for the Web.
Tab 9: Grammar Basics.
39. Parts of Speech and Parts of Sentences. 40. Verbs. 41. Subject-Verb Agreement. 42. Pronouns: Agreement, Reference, Case. 43. Using Adjectives and Adverbs.
Tab 10: Tips for Multilingual Writers.
44. Singulars and Plurals. 45. Articles. 46. Word Order. 47. Prepositions. 48. Gerunds and Infinitives. 49. Modal Auxiliary Verbs.