Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Table of Contents
I. BECOMING A SKILLED READER.
1. A Reading System for Skilled Readers
The Reading Process.
Textbook Skills: Before, During, and After Reading—Asking Questions and Recording Answers.
2. Vocabulary in Context.
The Importance of Words.
Context Clues: A SAGE Approach.
Textbook Skills: Visual Vocabulary.
3. Vocabulary-Building Skills.
Additional Word Parts.
Textbook Skills: Textbook Aids for Learning Content Words.
4. Topics and Main Ideas.
Textbook Skills: Topics in Headings.
5. Locating Stated Main Ideas.
The Flow of Ideas and Placement of Topic Sentences.
Textbook Skills: The Central Point and the Thesis Statement.
6. Implied Main Ideas.
An Introduction to Implied Main Ideas
Studying Supporting Details to Identify the State and Topic
Using Topics, Supporting Details, and Thought Patterns to Determine the Implied Main Idea.
Annotating the Paragraph to Determine the Implied Main Idea.
Creating a One-Sentence Summary from Supporting Details.
Textbook Skills: Pictures as Details.
7. Supporting Details, Outlines, and Concept Maps.
Questions for Locating Supporting Details.
Major and Minor Details.
Textbook Skills: Ideas from General to Specific: Creating a Summary.
8. Outlines and Concept Maps.
Textbooks Skills: The Table of Contents in a Textbook.
9. Transitions and Thought Patterns.
The Purpose of Transitions and Thought Patterns.
Transition Words: Relationships Within a Sentence.
Thought Patterns: Relationships Between Sentences.
Textbook Skills: Transitions and Clear Information.
10. More Thought Patterns.
Comparison and Contrast Patterns.
Cause and Effect Pattern.
The Generalization-and-Example. Pattern.
Textbook Skills: The Definition Pattern.
Final Note: Though Patterns and Textbooks.
Inferences: Educated Guesses.
What is a Valid Inference?
Making VALID Inferences and Avoiding Invalid Conclusions.
Thinking Through an Inference and Drawing Conclusions.
Textbook Skills: Inferences and Photos.
II. ADDITIONAL READINGS.
Fugitives Who Love Facebook
Work in the 21st Century
Somebody’s Gotta Get Hired, Right? 6 Tips to Help New Grads Land Jobs
Are Jobs Obsolete?
The Invisible Rich
Average Is Over
Junior Seau, Dead at 43
The Obesity Crisis
America’s Hatred of Fat Hurts Obesity Fight
III. COMBINED SKILLS TESTS.
Chapter Review Cards.
IV. READING ENRICHMENT
Appendix A: ESL Reading Tips.
Appendix B: Reading Graphics.
Appendix C: Word Parts.