More New and Used
from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
This is the 2nd edition with a publication date of 1/1/2012.
What is included with this book?
Skills for Human Service Practice: Working with Individuals, Groups and Communities, 2e covers all the skills and theoretical frameworks that beginning practitioners and students in Human Services need. It encourages a critical reflective perspective to help students to mindfully reflect on their practice, in order to help them deal with the frustrations and difficulties that they will encounter in their practice. It lays out the theory and framework and then looks at specific skill sets in light of the frameworks and theories mentioned in the first half of the book. The two new chapters, Research skills for Practitioners and Becoming and Being a Professional Practitioner, extend the students and help them make the transition from learning to practice.
Agi O'Hara is a Senior Lecturer within the Faculty of Education and Social Work at the University of Sydney. Agi's research interests include social work and social policy, counselling, welfare and community services.
Rosalie Pockett is a Senior Lecturer within the Faculty of Education and Social Work at the University of Sydney. Rosalie's research interests include practice-based research in the health field; interprofessional education; the occupational culture of social work; and the transition of new graduate social workers to professional practice.
Table of Contents
1. Reflective Practice
2. Professional Values and Ethical Practice
3. Making the Most of Supervision
4. The Practitioner's Use of Self in The Professional Relationship
5. Cultural Diversity in Practice Working with Migrants and Refugees
6. Cultural Diversity in Practice Working with Indigenous people - A Meeting of Minds, and Hearts
7. Risk Assessment Working Within a Legal Framework
8. Effective Communication
10. Conducting Assessment Some General Guidelines
11. Advocacy in Practice
12. Understanding and Managing Conflict
13. Introduction to Working with Groups
14. Intervention Strategies for Working with Groups
15. Working Effectively in Teams
16. Asset-based Community Development: Recognising and Building on Community Strengths
17. Community Education
18. Research skills for Practitioners
19. Becoming and Being a Professional Practitioner