The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included. This is true even if the title states it includes any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
Challenging kids don't behave badly on purpose - they are simply struggling with the demands on their psychological development. Many tens of thousands of child mental health professionals and parents have already turned to Dr. Michael Bloomquist for essential guidance on understanding acting-out kids and getting them back on track. Now, for the first time, Dr. Bloomquist presents his bestselling skills training program in a book written specifically for parents. This clear, compassionate guide is packed with tried-and-true, thoroughly researched ways to help kids follow rules, get along better with family members and peers, express their feelings productively, and succeed in the classroom. Loads of worksheets, troubleshooting tips, and role-play activities give parents the tools to become their child's best teacher.
Michael L. Bloomquist, PhD, a child psychologist, is Associate Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Minnesota, where he conducts research and trains practitioners. Dr. Bloomquist has worked with struggling kids and teens and their families for over 25 years. He and his wife are the proud parents of two sons.
Table of Contents
Introduction: How to Use This Book
Getting Started and Staying with It
1. The Struggling Child: Understanding Your Child's Behavioral-Emotional Problems
2. Getting Back on Track: Coming Up with a Skills-Building Plan for Your Child and Family
3. Taking Care of Business: Getting Going and Following Through
Enhancing Your Child's Behavioral Development
4. Doing What You're Told: Teaching Your Child to Comply with Parental Directives
5. Doing What's Expected: Teaching Your Child to Follow Rules
6. Doing the Right Thing: Teaching Your Child to Behave Honestly
7. Staying Cool under Fire: Managing Your Child's Protesting of Discipline and Preventing Angry Outbursts
Enhancing Your Child's Social Development
8. Making Friends: Teaching Your Child Social Behavior Skills
9. Keeping Friends: Teaching Your Child Social Problem-Solving Skills
10. That Hurts!: Helping Your Child with Bullies
11. Hanging with the \u201cRight Crowd\u201d: Influencing Your Child's Peer Relationships
Enhancing Your Child's Emotional Development
12. Let It Out!: Teaching Your Child to Understand and Express Feelings
13. You Are What You Think: Teaching Your Child to Think Helpful Thoughts
14. Stress Busters: Teaching Your Child to Manage Stress
Enhancing Your Child's Academic Development
15. Surviving School: Teaching Your Child to Manage Time, Organize, Plan, Review, and Stay on Task
16. Teaming Up: Collaborating and Advocating for Your Child at School
Enhancing Your Well-Being as a Parent
17. You Parent the Way You Think: Thinking Helpful Thoughts to Enhance Parenting
18. Cool Parents: Managing Your Own Stress to Enhance Parenting
Enhancing Your Family's Well-Being
19. Let's Get Together: Strengthening Family Bonds and Organization
20. We Can Work It Out: Strengthening Family Interaction Skills