Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
Liz O'Brien teaches students that to speak well is to speak responsibly, confidently, and authentically--to create well-researched and constructed speeches, and to converse, and connect with their audience. Through Speak Well's listener-centered approach to public speaking, one in which the speaker engages in a vibrant conversation with listeners rather than giving a static performance, students learn that their primary purpose as speakers is to communicate ideas. The result is reduced student anxiety about speech delivery, increased self-assurance, and more authentic, successful speeches.
In an easy-to-use handbook format, Speak Well guides students through the many choices that speakers must make when crafting and supporting a message, while a series of interactive speech preparation tools and an McGraw-Hill's proven adaptive learning system, LearnSmart, helps them master key course concepts, practice, build confidence, and achieve success in public speaking.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Public Speaking is an Act of Communication
- Chapter 2: Listen to the Speeches of Others
- Chapter 3: Create Confident Presentations
- Chapter 4: Commit to Responsible Communication: Ethical, Civil, and Credible Speaking
- Chapter 5: Analyze Your Audience and the Speaking Situation
- Chapter 6: Determine Your Speech Purpose, Topic, and Thesis
- Chapter 7: Incorporate Research
- Chapter 8: Support Your Ideas
- Chapter 9: Organize Your Ideas
- Chapter 10: Outline Your Speech
- Chapter 11: Create Introductions, Conclusions, and Transitions
- Chapter 12: Select and Incorporate Visual Support
- Chapter 13: Practice Your Presentation
- Chapter 14: Communicate with your Language, Voice, and Body
- Chapter 15: Speak to Inform
- Chapter 16: Speak to Persuade
- Chapter 17: Develop Your Arguments
- Chapter 18: Speak During Special Occasions and in Groups
- Sample Student Speeches
- Guide to Documentation Styles
- Evaluation Forms:
- Speaker Evaluation Form
- Speaker Self-Evaluation Form