Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
John Baylis is Emeritus Professor of Politics and International Relations and former Pro-Vice Chancellor at Swansea University. He is coauthor of Introduction to Global Politics, Second Edition, (OUP, 2012) and coeditor of The Globalization of World Politics, Fifth Edition (OUP, 2011).
James J. Wirtz is Dean of the School of International Graduate Studies at the Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California. He is coeditor of Over the Horizon Proliferation Threats (2012).
Colin S. Gray is Professor of International Politics and Strategic Studies at the University of Reading. He is the author of Airpower for Strategic Effect (2012) and The Strategy Bridge: Theory for Practice (OUP, 2011).
Table of Contents
Introduction, John Baylis & James J. Wirtz
PART I: ENDURING ISSUES OF STRATEGY
1. The Causes of War and the Conditions of Peace, John Garnett
2. The Evolution of Modern Warfare, Michael Sheehan
3. Strategic Theory, Thomas G. Mahnken
4. Strategic Culture, Jeffrey S. Lantis and Darryl A. Howlett
5. Law, Politics and the Use of Force, Justin Morris
6. Geography and Strategy, Daniel Moran
7. Technology and Warfare, Eliot Cohen
8. Intelligence and Strategy, Roger George
PART II: CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS
9. Irregular Warfare: Terrorism and Insurgency, James D. Kiras
10. The Second Nuclear Age: Nuclear Weapons in the Twenty-First Century, C. Dale Walton
11. The Control of Weapons of Mass Destruction, John Baylis
12. Conventional Power and Contemporary Warfare, John Ferris
13. Iraq, Afganistan and American Military Transformation, Stephen Biddle
14. Homeland Security: A New Strategic Paradigm, Jacob N. Shapiro & Rudolph P. Darken
15. Humanitarian Intervention and Peace Operations, Theo Farrell & Sheena Chestnut Greitens
16. The Rise of Cyberpower, John Sheldon
PART III: THE FUTURE OF STRATEGY
17. A New Agenda for Security and Strategy?, James J. Wirtz
18. Strategic Studies and its Critics, Columba Peoples
19. The Practice of Strategy, Colin S. Gray and Jeannie Johnson
20. The Future of Strategic Studies, Lawrence Freedman