Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Your very own companion to any pre-registration nursing course!
Packed with advice, hints and tips, this essential, practical guide will orientate and guide you through your nursing course even before you start. Written in a straightforward, no-nonsense style, this Toolkit is full of strategies and help for surviving and succeeding on your pre-registration nursing course, and addresses all the key issues and concerns you may face, including:
- How to get the most out of your clinical placement
- The nursing terminology you need to know – including NMC standards
- How to create a professional Portfolio
- How to achieve a healthy work-life balance
- How to develop an effective relationship with your mentor
With case studies from real students, hands-on activities and suggestions for further reading, this is THE essential survival guide for your nursing course!
Table of Contents
CHAPTER 1 Entry to Nursing, 1
CHAPTER 2 The Nursing and Midwifery Council and Other
Regulatory Bodies, 15
CHAPTER 3 Nursing Education: the Standards for Pre-registration Nurse Education, 27
CHAPTER 4 Nursing, Health and Social Care, 43
CHAPTER 5 Assessment Tools, 60
CHAPTER 6 The Essential Skills Clusters, 79
CHAPTER 7 The University Setting, 98
CHAPTER 8 Practice Learning Opportunities, 115
CHAPTER 9 The Nursing Elective, 131
CHAPTER 10 Managing Self, 143
CHAPTER 11 Terminology: Terms Used in Healthcare, 162
CHAPTER 12 Evidence-Based Practice, 178
CHAPTER 13 Refl ective Practice, 195
CHAPTER 14 Your Professional Portfolio, 212
CHAPTER 15 Records and Record Keeping, 230
CHAPTER 16 Protocols, Policies and Legal Matters, 249
CHAPTER 17 Clinical Academic Careers, 268
CHAPTER 18 Preceptorship and Continuing Professional Development, 281
CHAPTER 19 What Do I Do If...? Questions You Did Not Want To Ask Out Loud, 298