Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
How do rental returns work?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction —Julie Hogan.
Evolution and Training of the Preventative Discipline.
Attitudes about Alcohol, Tobacco, and other Drugs.
Definitions of Use, Abuse, and Dependence/Addiction.
Justification for Theory.
United States History of Substance Abuse Prevention.
A Timeline of Prevention.
Building Blocks for the Prevention Profession.
2. Prevention Research—Julie Hogan.
The Risk and Protective Factor Theory.
The Resiliency Approach.
The Developmental Assets Approach.
The Six CSAP Strategies.
3. Prevention Program Planning—Kristen Reed Gabrielson.
Step 1: Asses the Readiness of the Community and Mobilize for Action.
Step 2: Assess the Levels of Risk Factors and Protective Factors in the Community.
Step 3: Translate Data into Priorities.
Step 4: Examine the Resources in the Community that are Reducing Risk Factors.
Step 5: Select a Target Population.
Step 6: Apply “Best Practices” and “Guiding Principles.”
Step 7: Evaluate.
4. Facts about Drugs— Nora Luna.
Models of Addiction.
Central Nervous System Depressants.
Central Nervous Stimulants.
Trends in Drug Use.
5. The Cultural Context and Ethics of Prevention—Denise Grothaus.
Elements of Culture.
Types of Culture.
Working in the Community.
Ethics in Prevention.
6. Incorporating Human Development Theory into Prevention—Denise Grothaus.
Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.
Erik Erikson's Psychosocial Developmental Stages.
Jean Piaget's Cognitive-Developmental Stages.
7. The Media and Prevention—Nora Luna.
8. The Logic Model and Evaluation—Kristen Reed Gabrielson.
Developing Evaluation Questions.
Internal or External Evaluations?
Developing a Design to Answer Evaluation Questions.
Developing Methods to Carry out the Evaluation Design.
Analyzing Evaluation Data.
Conducting the Evaluation.
Using the Answers to the Evaluation Questions.
9. Communication Strategies—Julie Hogan.
Public Speaking Skills.
Group Facilitation and Leadership Skills.
10. Grant Writing—Kristen Reed Gabrielson.
Introduction to Grant Writing in Prevention.
Motivations of Grant Makers.
Preliminary Steps to Grant Writing.
Writing Shorter Letter Proposals.
Writing Long Proposals.
General Grant-Writing Tips.
What Happens Next?
11. Bringing it all Together—Julie Hogan.
Challenges in Applying Science-Based Prevention Principles to Prevention Programs.
Appendix A: Community Readiness Survey.
Appendix B: Validated Archival Indicators.
Appendix C: Three Case Studies in Prevention.
Appendix D: Case Studies in Prevention. Closing the Gap Between Research and Practice: Lessons of the First Three Years of CSAP's National CAPT System 1997-2000.