In the 10 years since its first edition, Catherine Barnard's text has quickly established itself as the leading textbook on the Four Freedoms. Popular with students and academics alike, this authoritative text offers a unique balance of comprehensive, detailed coverage in a concise and readable style.
The fourth edition continues to provide a critical and thorough analysis of the key principles of the substantive law of the EU, focusing on the four freedoms. An introductory chapter provides valuable context on the governance of the internal market, its evolution, and the theories behind its key principles. Each of the freedoms is then dealt with in turn, covering goods, persons, services, and capital, before moving on to discuss harmonization, the regulation of the internal market, and its future. Additional useful detail is captured in footnotes, while further reading lists provide support for independent study and research.
This thorough coverage is fully supported by engaging case studies throughout the book which place the law in context, helping you to understand the complexities of the subject and exploring the practical implications of EU law. Diagrams, flowcharts, and tables offer further detail and illustrate key ideas and processes in an easily accessible format, while chapter overviews and a clear structure ensure readers remain on track and can find information quickly.
This book is also supported by an Online Resource Centre which includes:
* An additional chapter on intellectual property law in relation to the free movement of goods
* Regular author updates on changes to the law post-publication and significant new cases
* An interactive map and timeline of the EU plus video footage of key moments in its development
* Useful weblinks and further reading advice to support further research
* A searchable table of equivalences for quick references to changes in article numbering in light of the Lisbon Treaty
For lecturers, downloadable versions of the figures from the book are also available, for use in lectures and handouts.