Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Table of Contents
“Summary,” “Review Questions,” “Suggested Activities,” “Resources for Extended Study,” and “References” appear at the end of every chapter.
I. UNDERSTANDING LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION.
l. Language and Language Disorders.
Case Study Speech, Language, Communication.
2. The Elements of Language.
3. Language Acquisition: Bases and Models.
Physiological Bases of Language Development.
Cognitive Bases of Language Development.
Social Basis of Language Development.
Models of Language Acquisition.
4. The Development of Language.
Emergence of Expressive Language.
Language Development in the Preschool Years.
Learning to Mean: The Development of Semantics.
Language Development in the School Years.
II. LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION PROBLEMS.
5. Language and Students with Learning Disabilities.
The Dilemma of Learning Disabilities.
6. Language and Students with Mental Retardation.
The Changing View of Mental Retardation.
Language and Communication Characteristics.
Causes of Language and Communication Impairments.
Approaches to Intervention.
7. Language and Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Characteristics Associated with Autism.
Definition of Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Causes of Autism.
Language and Communication.
Causes of Language and Communication Disorders in Autism.
Intervention for Language and Communication Impairments.
8. Language and Students with Sensory Disabilities.
Defining Hearing Impairment.
Visual Impairment and Language.
Implications for Teaching.
9. Language and Students with Emotional and Behavioral Disabilities.
Defining the Population.
Evidence for Language and Communication Deficiencies.
Implications for Assessment and Intervention.
III. LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION IN THE CLASSROOM.
10. Assessing Language and Communication.
Assessment of Language.
11. Enhancing Language and Communication.
Rationale for Language Instruction.
Methods for Language Instruction.
Language in the Classroom.
Enhancing Language Skills in the Classroom.
Delivering Language Instruction in the Classroom.
Enhancing Communication in Specific Classroom Environments.
12. Augmentative and Alternative Communication.
Components of Augmentative and Alternative Communication.
Implementing AAC Systems.
Integrating AAC Use into Regular Education Settings.
Outcomes of AAC System Usage.
13. Language and Culture.
Bilingualism and Limited English Proficiency.
Students with Limited English Proficiency and Special Needs.