More New and Used
from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
This is the edition with a publication date of 12/24/2011.
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Tourism: Principles and Practices is a comprehensive textbook, designed especially for undergraduate and post graduate students of tourism studies. It focuses upon a wide array of concepts, principles, and practices that are supplemented with relevant examples and cases.
The book has been divided into five parts. The first part is devoted to the basic concepts, history, motivation, and impacts of tourism. The second part discusses basic tourism services like passenger transport, hospitality, travel agency, tour operations, and ancillary tourism sector. The third part throws light on the demand and supply components of tourism business. Fourth part underlines the importance of policy and planning for striking a natural balance between economic development of tourism and policy formulation. The last part is devoted to modern tourism business with special emphasis on national and international tourism organizations, tourism market research, e-tourism, and contemporary trends and practices.
The book will be highly useful for students of tourism studies, and also for practitioners like travel agents and tour operators.
Dr Sampad Kumar Swain is Reader in Department of Tourism Studies, School of Management, Pondicherry University, Puducherry. He has a rich industry and teaching experience in the tourism industry. He has participated in a faculty development programme in IIM, Indore. Dr Swain is member of Board of Studies in Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai; Avinashlingam University, Coimbatore; Lady Dock College, Madurai; and Pondicherry University, Puducherry; and a guide for students for IGNOU. He has published fifteen research papers in reputed journals, edited one book, and authored another book.
Dr Jitendra Mohan Mishra is Assistant Professor in the Department of Tourism Studies, School of Management, Pondicherry University, Puducherry. He has two years of industrial experience and more than five years of teaching and research experience. He has published research papers and is currently involved in an ecotourism research project.
Table of Contents
Part One: Fundamentals of Tourism
1. Introduction to Tourism Concept
2. Development of Tourism Through the Ages
3. Tourist Motivation and Travel Behaviour
4. Cultural and Sociological Tourism for Refinement of Human Life
Part Two: Basic Tourism Services
5. Passenger Transport Business
6. Hospitality Services
7. Travel Agency Business Perspective
8. Tour Operation Management
9. Ancillary Tourism Sector
Part Three: Tourism Demand and Supply
10. Measurement of Tourism Demand
11. Basic Tourism Supply Components
Part Four: Tourism Impacts and Policy Formulation
12. Economic and Environmental Impact of Tourism
13. Tourism Policy and Planning
Part Five: Modern Tourism Business
14. International, National, Regional Tourism and Related Organizations
15. Fundamentals of Tourism Marketing and Research
17. Contemporary Trends and Practices