The Communist Experiment: Revolution, Socialism, and Global Conflict in the Twentieth Century
America in the World: United States History in Global Context
Connections Across Eurasia: Transportation, Communication, and Cultural Exchange on the Silk Roads
Universal Religions in World History : Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam
Traditions & Encounters, Volume 1 From the Beginning to 1500
Traditions and Encounters: Vol. I w/ Study Guide CD & PowerWeb, MP
Traditions & Encounters Volume 1 From the Beginning to 1500
Traditions & Encounters Volume 1 From the Beginning to 1500: A Global Perspective on the Past
Over a million students at thousands of schools have learned about world history with the best selling book for the course, Traditions and Encounters. The text is unique in approach: it covers the world as a whole, examining the formations and development of the world's major societies ("traditions"), and exploring cross-cultural interactions and exchanges that have been some of the most effective agents of change in history ("encounters"). In addition, the authors tell a coherent story of the past that is not weighed down by too much detail, enabling instructors to incorporate additional readings. The third edition is accompanied by the Primary Source Investigator CD, offering an easy and affordable way for instructors to get students working with primary sources.
Table of Contents
Part I: The Early Complex Societies, 3500 to 500 B.C.E.
1. Before History
2. Early Societies in Southwest Asia
3. Early African Societies and the Bantu Migrations
4. Early Societies in South Asia
5. Early Societies in East Asia
6. Early Societies in the Americas and Oceania
Part II: The Formation of Classical Societies, 500 B.C.E. to 500 C.E.
7. The Empires of Persia
8. The Unification of China
9. State, Society, and the Quest for Salvation in India
10. Mediterranean Society: The Greek Phase
11. Mediterranean Society: The Roman Phase
12. Cross-Cultural Exchanges on the Silk Roads
Part III: The Postclassical Era, 500-1000 C.E.
13. The Commonwealth of Byzantium
14. The Expansive Realm of Islam
15. The Resurgence of Empire in East Asia
16. India and the Indian Ocean Basin
17. The Foundations of Christian Society in Western Europe
Part IV: An Age of Cross-Cultural Interaction, 1000 to 1500 C.E.