Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Margit Fauser is a researcher in the department of sociology at Bielefeld University, Germany.
Eveline Reisenauer is a researcher in the department of sociology at Bielefeld University, Germany.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 - Three Transnationals: Transnationalization, Transnational Social Spaces and Transnationality
- Cross-border migration and the need for a transnational perspective
- Unpacking the transnational
- Aim and structure of the book
Chapter 2 - Transnationality and Social Practices
- Familial transnational practices
- Socio-cultural transnational practices
- Economic transnational practices
- Political transnational practices
- The significance of transnational practices
Chapter 3 - Conceptualizing Transnationalization and Transnational Social Spaces
- Transnationalization in historical perspective
- The concept of transnational social spaces
- The durability of transnationalization
Chapter 4 -Transnationalization and Development
- Three phases of the debate
- Remittances and their role for family and kin
- Transnational investment and business
- Hometown associations and their contributions to community development
- Transnational circulation of knowledge
- Social remittances and their effects
Chapter 5- Transnationality and the Models of Migrant Integration
- Transnationalism as a model of integration
- The relationship between transnationality and integration
- Second generation transnationality
- Migrant associations as a means of integration and transnationalization
Chapter 6 - States and Citizens - Transnational Political Practices and Institutions
- Citizenship: a conceptual sketch
- The policies of citizenship: the case of dual citizenship
- The politics of citizenship: citizens, diasporas and states
- Equal political liberty
- Rights and duties - states reaching out to emigrants
- Collective identity and nation-building
- Transnational citizenship?
Chapter 7 - Transnational Methodology
- Three methodological challenges for transnational analysis
- Methods to address the three challenges
- Capturing simultaneity
Chapter 8 - Transnationalizing Civil Society
- Civil society and transnational social spaces
- The relevance of development, social integration and citizenship for civil society
- Civil society and the state
- Civil society and the market
- Civil society and the family
- The role and function of migrant transnational social spaces for civil society
- The significance of a transnational approach for the social sciences