Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Julian D. Ford, PhD, a clinical psychologist, is Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine, where he is also Director of the Child Trauma Clinic and of the Center for Trauma Recovery and Juvenile Justice. He is Associate Editor of the Journal of Trauma and Dissociation and serves on the board of directors of the ISTSS. Dr. Ford developed and conducts research on the Trauma Affect Regulation: Guide for Education and Therapy (TARGET) psychosocial intervention for adolescents, adults, and families. In addition to his books edited or authored with Christine A. Courtois, Dr. Ford has published several other books on trauma-related topics.
Dr. Courtois and Dr. Ford are co-recipients of the ISSTD's Print Media Award for this book.
Table of Contents
Foreword, Judith Lewis Herman
Introduction, Christine A. Courtois and Julian D. Ford
1. Defining and Understanding Complex Trauma and Complex Traumatic Stress Disorders, Julian D. Ford and Christine A. Courtois
2. Neurobiological and Developmental Research: Clinical Implications, Julian D. Ford
3. Best Practices in Psychotherapy for Children and Adolescents, Julian D. Ford and Marylene Cloitre
4. Best Practices in Psychotherapy for Adults, Christine A. Courtois, Julian D. Ford, and Marylene Cloitre
5. Assessment of the Sequelae of Complex Trauma: Evidence-Based Measures, John Briere and Joseph Spinazzola
6. Assessment of Attachment and Abuse History, and Adult Attachment Style, Daniel Brown
7. Treating Dissociation, Kathy Steele and Onno van der Hart
8. Cultural Competence, Laura S. Brown
9. Therapeutic Alliance and Risk Management, Philip J. Kinsler, Christine A. Courtois, and A. Steven Frankel
10. Living and Working Self-Reflectively to Address Vicarious Trauma, Laurie Anne Pearlman and James Caringi
II. Individual Treatment Approaches and Strategies
11. Contextual Therapy, Steven N. Gold
12. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, Christie Jackson, Kore Nissenson, and Marylene Cloitre
13. Contextual Behavior Trauma Therapy, Victoria M. Follette, Katherine M. Iverson, and Julian D. Ford
14. Experiential and Emotion-Focused Therapy, Diana Fosha, Sandra Paivio, Kari Gleiser, and Julian D. Ford
15. Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Janina Fisher and Pat Ogden
16. Pharmacotherapy, Lewis A. Opler, Michelle S. Grennan, and Julian D. Ford
III. Systemic Treatment Approaches and Strategies
17. Internal Family Systems Therapy, Richard C. Schwartz, Mark F. Schwartz, and Lori Galperin
18. Couple Therapy, Susan M. Johnson and Christine A. Courtois
19. Family Systems Therapy, Julian D. Ford and William Saltzman
20. Group Therapy, Julian D. Ford, Roger D. Fallot, and Maxine Harris
Conclusion: The Clinical Utility of a Complex Traumatic Stress Disorders Framework, Julian D. Ford and Christine A. Courtois
Afterword, Bessel A. van der Kolk