This is the 1st edition with a publication date of 11/30/2014.
What is included with this book?
The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Tuberculosis (TB) is a serious infectious disease of the lungs that is usually caused by the bacterium Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Nearly one-third of the world's population is currently infected with latent TB, and millions of individuals develop the active, potentially fatal form of the disease each year. The continuing emergence and spread of drug-resistant TB strains is one of the most difficult challenges facing control of the disease.
Written and edited by experts in the field, this collection from Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Medicine examines all aspects of M. tuberculosis biology, transmission, and infection, as well as ongoing strategies to treat and control it. Contributors explore the biological characteristics of M. tuberculosis, its complex interactions with the human immune system, and factors that influence the progression from latent to active TB disease (e.g., coinfection with HIV/AIDS). The clinical manifestations of TB, both pulmonary and extrapulmonary, are fully described and illustrated.
This volume also includes discussions of recent advances in the development of diagnostics, drugs, and vaccines, as well as strategies for enhanced implementation of existing interventions. It is an essential reference for microbiologists, immunologists, pathologists, epidemiologists, and clinicians, and all who wish to understand and combat this global health burden.
Table of Contents
1. Global epidemiology of TB Philippe Glaziou & Mario Raviglione
2. TB diagnostics Stephen D. Lawn
3. Imaging and TB Jamshed B. Bomanji
4. TB treatment & drug regimens Giovanni Battista Migliori, Rosella Centis, Lia D'ambrosio, & Giovanni Sotgiu
5. Latent TB Ibrahim Abubakar
6. Clinical-Adult TB Robert Loddenkemper
7. Clinical-Pediatric TB Ben Marais
8. MDR-TB & XDR-TB Salmaan Keshavjee
9. TB/HIV coinfections Gunilla Källenius
10. TB & co-morbidities w/CDs and NCDs Alimuddin Zumla
11. Infection control & TB Edward Nardell
Vaccines, Immunology, Host Cells, & Biomarkers 12. Innate & acquired cellular immunity Daniel L. Barber & Katrin Mayer-Barber
13. B cells in acquired immunity to TB Arturo Casadevall & Jacqueline Achkar