Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Jim Burt is Professor of Geography in the Department of Geography of the University of Wisconsin—Madison. He received his Ph.D. from the UCLA. His research interests are in physical geography, climatology, quantitative methods, and geovisualization. Burt recently served as the co-principal investigator for SoLIM (Soil Land Inference Model) for soil mapping, using recent developments in GIS, artificial intelligence, and information representation theory, and he is currently involved in new NSF funded research using GIS. He regularly teaches advanced geography and atmospheric science courses.
Table of Contents
1. Composition and Structure of the Atmosphere
2. Solar Radiation and the Seasons
3. Energy Balance and Temperature
4. Atmospheric Pressure and Wind
II. WATER IN THE ATMOSPHERE
5. Atmospheric Moisture
6. Cloud Development and Forms
7. Precipitation Processes
III. DISTRIBUTION AND MOVEMENT OF AIR
8. Atmospheric Circulation and Pressure Distributions
9. Air Masses and Fronts
10. Mid-Latitude Cyclones
11. Lightning, Thunder, and Tornadoes
12. Tropical Storms and Hurricanes
V. HUMAN ACTIVITIES AND SPECIAL TOPICS
13. Weather Forecasting and Analysis
14. Human Effects: Air Pollution and Heat Islands
VI. CURRENT, PAST AND FUTURE CLIMATES
15. Earth's Climates
16. Climate Changes: Past and Future
VII. SPECIAL TOPICS AND APPENDICES
17. Atmospheric Optics
Appendix A: Unit of Measurement and Conversions
Appendix B: The Standard Atmosphere
Appendix C: Weather Map Symbols
Appendix D: Weather Extremes